Tuesday, March 16, 2010

And the hits just keep on coming....part 2

So we met up with our husbands in Syracuse and Dave and I headed to Watertown to do some grocery shopping before we went home. We got our groceries and headed to the border with a van full of sleeping kids.
Back in Canada!!! In another 2 hours we were thankfully and blissfully home. (I would like to add...I LOVE our housekeeper...who made sure we came home to a clean house!) Since we were both terribly tired, we decided to grab some Burger King for supper. As we sat down to eat; the two adults thinking about the next 2 days and wondering how we were going to get through them, Dave's Mom called. Her news was not good. Dave's Uncle Mike had passed away. Dave, understandably so, was deeply upset by this news. I kept thinking to myself..."this can't be real, how can we loose two family members within 2 days of each other?" (Dave's uncle had passed away on Thursday, but his Mom had waited until we got home to tell us...thankfully) Shortly after that, with heavy hearts, we headed to bed. I don't think either of us slept much. When we woke up the next morning we headed to the mall to buy Dave a suit and some shoes (he was to be a pallbearer at his uncle's funeral). We made our necessary purchases and headed home to get ready for wake #1. Somehow, we made it through the next 3 days. We buried Nan on Monday and Mike on Wednesday. By Wednesday evening, we were emotionally spent. We went to work on Thursday and Friday and did the best we could...given the circumstances. We woke up on Saturday with "M" standing beside the bed complaining that she had a nose-bleed. I checked and it had stopped. We cleaned her up and went downstairs for breakfast. Afterwards the girls went upstairs to get dressed. Within a couple of seconds "A" came running downstairs yelling that "M" was bleeding badly. Dave dashed upstairs to check it out, with me not far behind. I got there in time to see Dave frantically trying to grab more tissue and keep "M" calm. She was crying and yelling "I need a doctor...I'm gonna die!". The poor little thing was scared to death...To be honest I was too. I had never seen so much blood come out of a nose. I scooped her up and carried her downstairs and placed her on the kitchen table to get a better look at her. Soon thereafter, she started vomiting blood. I called my Mom, who is a RPN, for help. She came over and suggested that we call an ambulance for our bleeding and cursing little girl because she was losing so much blood. (she was cursing like a sailor at this point!) I stepped outside to call the ambulance and while I was on the phone with them, my Mom said to cancel because the bleeding had started to slow down. We eventually got it stopped but decided to take a trip to the emergency room anyway. After a 6 hour wait, we were told that "M" had pneumonia. That was unexpected. Who knew that pneumonia would cause a nose-bleed? They gave us a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us on our way. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment